Use your time, talents, and heart to make our House A Home Away From Home
Ronald McDonald House Charleston volunteers help provide comfort and care to our families, as well as maintain our House. We have several volunteer opportunities. Learn more about the different opportunities below.
Individual Volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House
Volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House. They provide administrative support, help keep our House clean and tidy, offer family support, serve as a welcoming face, and provide information to our visitors.
Age: Must be 18 years or older
Location: The Ronald McDonald House –81 Gadsden Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Commitment: Weekly two hour shift for a minimum of 6 months
Shifts: Shifts are offered daily from 9 AM to 9 PM
- Receptionist: Answers phones, takes donations, greets guests, and checks in visitors
- House Assistant: Organizes the pantry and kitchen, assists in the family room, tidies around the house, puts out On The Go meal bags and other items, refills coke machine and other projects around the house
- Salad Bar Helper: prepares salad bar for the day by chopping up veggies and putting them out for families, puts away and cleans salad bar after use
- Dinner Helper: helps clean up dinner in the evening
- Maintenance: works to fix things around the house, changes lightbulbs, hangs pictures, moves furniture etc.
Group Volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House
When a group of volunteers come together to help at RMHC Charleston, they make a big impact. Whether it’s deep cleaning our House or helping out with a specific task, their efforts, small and large, support every family that relies on our Home Away From Home. Here are a few ways you and your friends, coworkers, or family can help.
Deep Cleaning Volunteer Group
Deep Cleaning Volunteers help us keep the Ronald McDonald House tidy and healthy for our families. We provide all of the cleaning supplies. To become a deep cleaning volunteer group, volunteers must follow these guidelines:
- All volunteer groups must be adults or heavily supervised children 15 and older
- Cleaning must be done Monday – Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Groups should be no more than 15 people
Special Task Volunteer Group
RMHC Charleston has special tasks that require the support of group volunteers. This can include building shelves, organizing storage rooms and landscaping clean up. Task volunteers must follow these guidelines:
- All volunteer groups must be adults
- Tasks must be preapproved by the House
- Groups should be no more than 12 people
Event Volunteers for the Ronald McDonald House are part of the success of our fundraisers we host every year. Our volunteers take on varying tasks from securing auction items to greeting guests to stuffing envelopes. And, everything they do to help makes a big difference in making the event fantastic and, most importantly, supporting our families. Event volunteers must follow these guidelines:
Event volunteers must follow these guidelines:
- Age restrictions are event specific
- All volunteers must sign up to participate through the Volunteer Coordinator
- Event volunteers can be individual or groups
Interested in how you can help and have fun?
Email our Volunteer Coordinator at volunteer@RMHCharleston.org to confirm a date!
Want to become a House volunteer?
Here’s how to get started:
Get to know us: Attend a RMHC Charleston Volunteer Interest meeting and learn more about individual opportunities and volunteer expectations. Meetings are held every 1st Wednesday of the month’ Please bring your application filled out along with your ” target=”_blank”>background check.
Volunteer Placement: Upon review and acceptance of application, our volunteer coordinator will contact you and arrange a time for your orientation.
Did you know?
We had 473 Meals and over 400 event volunteers in 2016
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Sign up for our e-newsletter to read inspiring stories from our families, keep up to date with RMHC news and stay in touch with your fellow RMHC friends and supporters.