At the Charleston, SC house
In an effort to promote leadership, community awareness, and philanthropy in our local youth, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Charleston, SC formed the RMHC Junior Board in 2007. Eligible applicants consist of students entering their junior or senior year of high school and will be actively enrolled in any local public or private school in Charleston, Berkeley, or Dorchester counties. Homeschooled students are also encouraged to participate.
Ronald McDonald House Charities wishes to help build a strong community through enriching leadership, business, negotiation, creativity, problem solving, community service, community awareness, and philanthropy in the future leaders of the Greater Charleston Area. Applicants should possess some level of skill in these areas and the desire to further improve those skills.
The RMHC Junior Board will provide students with the opportunity to refine their leadership skills while concentrating on ways to build philanthropy in the Greater Charleston area. This will be accomplished through leadership and team-building activities as well as through philanthropic projects for RMHC. Students who are selected to serve on the Junior Board will be eligible for Higher Education Scholarship awards at the completion of their term on the RMHC Board.
Junior Board Selection Criteria:
- Members must be rising juniors or seniors in high school
- Must submit an application, recommendation letter, and head shot
- Should possess creativity and leadership qualities
- Need to have an interest in philanthropy
- Have a history in volunteering and/or other community service
- Behavior should be in good standing their respective school and community
- Should be outgoing, friendly, and positively represent themselves
- Public speaking and presentation skills are a plus
Junior Board members are expected to attend all meetings, functions, and events during their term. They are also required to plan, execute, and evaluate a fundraising project, as well as complete a reflection essay describing RMHC Junior Board experience.