Stay With Us
Our House is your Home
Welcome to our home that specializes in “keeping families close” by providing care, compassion and hope to families with seriously ill children being treated in Charleston, SC. From the moment you enter our doors, we want your family to be comfortable. Our staff strives to provide you the support you need so you can focus on the most important thing — your child’s healing.
Staying at the Ronald McDonald House
To Quality for a Room, Families must:
- Live more than 40 miles away from the House
- Have a child (18 or younger) who is receiving either outpatient treatment at a local medical facility, in an intensive care unit at the hospital or receiving inpatient treatment facility where the parents cannot reside with the patient.
- Not have an open/current DSS investigation/case
- Birth mom must be over 18 years of age or must have her Parent/Legal Guardian with her at all times while she is in the House.
- Consent to a Criminal Background Check.
- A criminal background check will be performed on all adult guests (18 years and older) who are requesting to stay at the House. Persons with a history of crimes or felony convictions do not comply with Ronald McDonald House policies and will be ineligible to stay.
If you meet these qualifications, the next steps require you to:
First Time Families:
- Obtain a referral from your child’s assigned hospital case manager/social worker – A referral is not a “reservation” and does not guarantee availability; all referrals are submitted to RMHC Charleston. Because of the large volume of room requests, RMHC Charleston does not reserve rooms or accept reservations.
- The rooms are not filled on a request first basis, but on the critical health and needs of the patient and family
- To find out who your child’s Social Worker is, please ask the Hospital or call your child’s doctor’s office. MUSC Children’s Hospital is (843) 792-2300
Wait for a confirmation – Once the referral is received, you will be contacted by RMHC Charleston to discuss your request for accommodations and further instructions.
Check Availability – Families must call the House after 11:00 a.m. on the day you would like to check-in to confirm a room is available at the House.
If a room is not available at the House, we can give you phone numbers of local hotels that may offer a reduced medical rate.
Staying at our House – During your stay all guests are provided lodging, meals, laundry facilities, and many other services. In order to offset some of these costs, we request a donation of $35.00 per night. However, no family is turned away due to an inability to pay. If your child has Medicaid, we may be able to be reimbursed through your child’s health plan.
Our Guest Services office is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. There is no onsite parking at our house. Parking in MUSC garages is recommended. We have a small loading zone that can be used during check-in and check-out.
- You may self-request a room at the House by calling our Guest Services office at (843) -723-7957
- Once the request is received, the House will verify your qualifications and appointments with your child’s case manager/social worker
- You must call the House after 11:00 a.m. on the day you would like to check-in to confirm a room is available at the House. There are times that we do not know room availability until late afternoon after other patients are released.
- If a room is not available at the House, we can give you phone numbers on local hotels that may offer a reduced medical rate.
- Families will be given a check-in appointment time. If check-in cannot occur during this time, please contact the Guest Services office at (843) 723-7957
- All adults staying at the Ronald McDonald House must present photo IDs and complete the registration process prior to receiving accommodations.
- Upon check-in, families will receive our Guidelines and Expectations. All families are required to sign a Compliance Agreement indicating their acknowledgment of our Guidelines and Expectations.
- Upon a child’s discharge from the hospital, families must visit the RMHC Gust Services Office and begin the check-out process prior to leaving.
- Room keys must be returned to the front desk
- A suggested donation of $35 per night is encouraged upon check out. If your child has Medicaid, we may be able to be reimbursed through your child’s health plan.
Visiting the Ronald McDonald Family Room
Ronald McDonald House Family Room
The Ronald McDonald Family Room at MUSC provides a sanctuary within the walls of the hospital where family members can rest, read, shower, have a snack or a cup of coffee while still being only minutes away from their seriously ill child.
Located near the neonatal intensive care units, our Ronald McDonald Family Room is located on the 7th Floor Rm # 735. The room is open 24 hours a day, but cannot be used as an overnight sleeping area.
For further questions contact:
Guest Services office at (843)723-7957 or HouseManager@rmhcharleston.org
Thank you Cody Deer with Cody Deer Imagery
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Sign up for our e-newsletter to read inspiring stories from our families, keep up to date with RMHC news and stay in touch with your fellow RMHC friends and supporters.